KinderGals: Hooray for MLK Day!

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hooray for MLK Day!

In January we remember Dr. Martin Luther King! This post contains fun, engaging activities that are sure to build knowledge about this important man in history.
Slide18Can you believe that MLK day is just around the corner? Time is flying by! Here are some of the things we are doing in Megan’s room to celebrate this Famous American. Here is our craftivity where we are recording all that we learn about MLK.Slide13
This photo was from last year! I can’t believe how great they did with this activity.
Slide12
First I asked them, “What was wrong?” We talked about the things that Dr. King saw that he wanted to change. Then, I asked “What did Dr. King do?” and we talked about all the things Dr. King did to make things better. Finally, I asked them, “Then, what happened?” and we talked about the results of his work today. They did amazing when we walked through each step.Slide7
Another thing we did was to use clip art to help solve this story problem. So, why clip art? Well, in Singapore Math we know that children learn “CPA”—that’s conceptual, pictorial, abstract. That means we must have children learn the concept using materials that can be manipulated and moved so that they can make meaning. So is this conceptual or pictorial? I say conceptual. To me, since conceptual means that the children can manipulate the items to help solve the problem, they can move the clip art pictures around to make that meaning. Pictorial would be if I had asked them to draw a picture to show their understanding. Don’t you just love the writing? It says, “Him and Him can share a ball. Him and him can share a ball.  Him and him can share a ball.”
Slide2
Here is an activity to work on number combinations. Dr. King actually had 4 kids-2 girls and 2 boys. I gave them clip art and they came up with ways to make 4 kids. Then, they glued down the black and white clip art and recorded their number combinations.
These are a few of the activities in my Hooray for MLK Day. You can see it by clicking (here) or on any of the pictures.
Pin It!

6 comments:

Khrys said...

I looove all your MLK activities, especially the cause and effect chart. You 2 are ridiculously fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing - can't wait to go check out your unit on TPT!

teacher244 said...

Are there any books you can recommend that are great at teaching MLK day that kinders understand?

Thanks!!

Literacy and Trade Books said...

This is awesome and I like the math combinations as well. What a nice flow. Last but not least, you look AWESOME in that COAT!!!!

Tammy said...

Hi Kim I blogged about your conference!
Tammy
First Grade @ Storybook Cafe
dtklinger@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Your post has been featured on my blog. Please stop by to check it out and grab your "I've Been Featured" button.

http://bestlifemistake.blogspot.com/2014/01/activities-to-celebrate-martin-luther.html

Thanks,
Amy

Kim and Megan said...

Thanks Amy! I can't wait to go and see it! You are sweet to spotlight something from my blog.

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.